Heroes of Archetype
Halia's Belt of Disguise
This custom-made belt does not cast an illusion as a typical magic item of disguise might. Instead, it uses a Polymorph enchantment to physically alter the shape of the being wearing it. An additional low-energy spell inlaid throughout the leather of the belt masks its true nature, making it appear to be a simple Belt of Protection +1. In effect, however, it bestows no bonuses to defense, or to any roll.
Because it is a polymorph and not an illusion, any magic detecting the nature of the wearer (such as true sight) will show what is intended by the polymorph’s magic. Combined with the masking spell, this belt will effectively disguise its wearer from all but the most savvy or talented.
- The belt can only polymorph the wearer into a single specific humanoid of the same approximate mass. The chosen creature to which the belt transforms can be changed once a week using a 5 minute ritual of concentration.
- The belt cannot polymorph the wearer into a non-humanoid, or into a humanoid of greater or smaller size. Any attempt to define the chosen morphing in such a manner wastes that week’s concentration ritual, and renders the belt inoperable for that week.
- The belt also changes the voice, smell, and even feel of the wearer as intended. Anyone wishing to accurately match these elements to another being must have knowledge of what those should be, and must pass a DC15 Intelligence(History) check.
- This combination of magicks, along with the sheer amount of power needed to maintain the disguise, makes the belt somewhat volatile. If the belt has any charges left, any blow to any part of the belt which would deal at least 1 point of damage will result in a 5’ radius explosion, doing 2d6 damage.
- The belt has 20 charges. Activating the belt consumes 1 charge, and the polymorph effect lasts for 8 hours. When the 8 hours is up, if the belt has not been deactivated, another charge will be consumed and another 8 hours of polymorph automatically activates with no break in between. This cycle may repeat endlessly until the belt has no charges remaining.
- The belt may be recharged by pressing a gem or magic item to the buckle for 5 minutes. At the end of the 5 minutes, the belt regains a charge for every 25gp that the gem or magic item was worth, up to the maximum 20 charges. If the charging item was a gem, it is disintegrated and may not be reconstituted by any means. If the charge was regained through a magic item, that item loses its enchantment permanently.